The Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) has developed procedures for obtaining a Comprehensive Initial Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation (CIPPE) and subsequent Re-Certification for participation in interscholastic athletics. The process is as follows:
- ALL Athletes MUST have a completed 6-page double-sided GREEN colored physical packet, containing the CIPPE, dated June 1st, 2013 or later in order to be eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics during the 2013-2014 school year. Physicals dated prior to June 1st, 2013 WILL NOT be valid.
- A completed physical packet or subsequent re-certification form MUST be turned in to the Athletic Trainers prior to the start of each sports season. If the physical packet is not completed and turned in, the student will not be eligible to participate.
- A 3-page white re-certification form is only necessary for all athletes participating in winter and spring sports. A re-certification form is only valid if a current completed physical packet is on file. Winter re-certifications must be dated after October 7, 2013. Spring re-certifications must be dated after January 20, 2014. A white re-certification form must be on file even if you did not participate in a fall sport.
- The CIPPE may be obtained from your personal family physician or the Mechanicsburg Area School District Athletic Team Physician.
- If you choose to have your family physician complete the CIPPE portion of the physical packet, the signing physician MUST complete any subsequent re-certifications.
- Athletes who had the CIPPE portion of the physical packet completed by the MASD Athletic Team Physician will have their Re-certifications completed by the athletic trainers.
- All students are strongly encouraged to participate in these free exams, even if they are not sure whether they will participate in a sport.
In an attempt to streamline the Athletic Physical Evaluation process at MASD, the following changes have been made:
- Athletic Pre-Participation Physical Evaluations will be given by appointment only during the dates listed below.
- NO physicals will be given during the school year by the MASD Athletic Team Physician.
- 60 physicals will be scheduled each hour for a total of 360 & 240 for each date, respectively.
- Scheduled physicals will be on a first come, first serve basis utilizing a web-based sign-up conference scheduler. Use the link below and then click on Mechanicsburg Athletic Physicals. The page will then display all times which are available. Click on “Sign Up” to schedule your time. After you schedule your time, you will receive a confirmation email.
- When you sign-up, you will receive an email confirming your time.
- Physicals will take approximately 1 hour from your assigned time.
- Physicals obtained from the MASD Athletic Team Physician can only be used for interscholastic athletics.
- For the June 5 date, a bus will transport students from MMS to MASH who have a scheduled physical after 4:00 p.m.
- Dates, times and locations for the MASD Free physicals:
|Wednesday, June 5||11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.||Mechanicsburg High School Gym Lobby|
|Monday, August 5||4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.||Mechanicsburg High School Nurse's Office|
Though we have reduced dates, the hope is to increase the total number of completed physicals from 540 to 600. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact:
- Sandy Zettlemoyer, Head Athletic Trainer: 717-691-4548 or SZettlemoyer@mbgsd.org
- Ryan Hartman, Assistant Athletic Director: 717-691-4530 x3415 or RHartman@mbgsd.org
Completed forms should be returned to Sandy Zettlemoyer (High School) or Amy Burhans (Middle School).
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE MASD FREE PHYSICALS (Registration begins Monday, May 6)