Mechanicsburg soccer rallies in second half

By Jeffrey Kauffman, Sentinel Reporter, April 3, 2009

Last updated: Friday, April 3, 2009 12:57 AM EDT

Mechanicsburg rallied with three goals in the final 23 minutes to take a Mid-Penn crossover match with Chambersburg 3-2 at Northside Soccer Stadium on Thursday night.

In the first half, Mechanicsburg’s Ariel Arnold ripped a couple shots over the top of the net while Lexie Lentz and Chelsea Amsley hit shots just wide of the net.

Chambersburg (3-1) finally dented the net with just over 22 minutes left. Tori Ricker lofted a ball over the defense that Wildcats goalkeeper Nicki Keiser had to come off her line to cover up. However, the ball deflected off her and she caught Amsley’s foot, resulting in a tripping foul, a penalty kick and a yellow card on Keiser.

Keiser came off for five minutes and was replaced by Shelby Koch. Trojans’ Jade Flory slotted the penalty kick into the corner for the goal.

Early in the second half, Flory gave the Trojans a two-goal advantage, heading a cross from Amsley into the far corner.

Midway through the second half, Mechanicsburg’s Alie Zelenky countered a Chambersburg shot off the cross with a goal scored at the other end, on a cross from Holly Burgard.

Mechanicsburg (2-1-1) later evened the score on an Ali Matisse direct kick.

Five minutes after, Taylor Jones took a ball to the right corner. Her cross sailed to Zelenky, who got the ball to the ground where Megan Meteja drilled it home for the go-ahead goal.

“I think we just had to keep our heads up,” Zelenky said. “We had a difficult game Tuesday against Lower Dauphin but we felt that we could play with them.

“We made plays when we had to. Our defense has played very well”

The Trojans rallied and placed the pressure on the Wildcats. A knockdown gave the Trojans a direct kick from just outside the box, but Amsley’s blast hit a wall of Mechanicsburg defenders.

Keiser had to go high to tap one over the crossbar in the final minute. The resulting corner was knocked aside and cleared.

“I am really happy,” Wildcats coach Tony Lougee said. “We could have rolled up when it was 2-0. We had a long game (double-overtime tie) Tuesday and we are a bit beat-up but they kept battling and never let up.

“This is what you are supposed to be playing for. It was just a good effort.”

Click here to read article.

Other Articles You Might Like: